More than 100,000 people visit this historic Mormon temple each year in Laie on Oahu’s northeast shore. Recently renovated, the Laie Hawaii Temple is a temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS).
The Laie Hawaii Temple is located near Brigham Young University Hawaii and the Polynesian Cultural Center, both of which are also associated with the Mormon church.
Completed in 1919, the Laie Hawaii Temple is the first Mormon temple built outside of the continental United States. Today it is the fifth oldest in the world and the oldest outside of Utah. The architecture of the temple was chosen by the church’s president at the time, Joseph F. Smith, who wanted it to resemble Solomon’s Temple as it is referred to in the biblical cannon.
The front exterior of the temple is designed in the form a Greek cross. The exterior also exhibits four large friezes depicting God’s dealings with man. Murals adorn walls inside the temple.
On the temple grounds are statues including the Prophet Lehi in a scene from the Book of Mormon, and Joseph being blessed by his father. Visitors approaching the temple will pass by numerous reflecting pools they will see the Maternity Fountain in front of the uppermost pool. The meticulously landscaped grounds include tropical gardens with a variety of exotic flora.
Seen from the air the Laie Hawaii Temple is in the shape of a large cross measuring 78 ft (23.8 m) south to north, and 102 ft (31.1 m) west to east. The temple’s highest point is 50 ft (15.2 m) and the floor area measures 47,224 sq ft (4,387 sq m).
Though non-Mormons aren’t allowed in the Laie Hawaii Temple, public tours of the grounds and the temple’s Visitor Center are offered.